Pages In This Section

Buildings and 'Mod Cons'

Since the 1890s the school has never ceased to acquire or construct new buildings.  The original school was the red-brick building completed in 1893 at the junction of London and Nightingale Roads and in close proximity to the London Road station; an exceptional piece of foresight by Miss Morton as, today, around 70 per cent of our senior school girls are able to travel to school by train.

The first laboratory dated from 1901, in which the girls watched ‘practical demonstrations’ rather than doing experiments themselves.  A proper library arrived in 1927. During the library’s first years its books were dusted individually each week; a task which would prove a challenge today when there are over 20,000 items in the library catalogue. Morton House, which is now the Sixth Form centre, was bought in 1930 and used until 1948 for boarding.  By stages, the Junior School, which had been housed in form rooms above the hall, was moved across to Morton House and, in 1957, new classrooms were built in the grounds of Morton House for the Junior School.

Four acres of Stoke Park were purchased for playing fields, for which a small pavilion was built, in 1927.  The acreage on Stoke Park remains unchanged today but the exceptionally well-equipped Sports Centre, opened in 2006, would be unrecognisable to pupils and staff from the early days of Guildford High School.   

The Bryce Wing was constructed in the early 1960s.  In the mid 1980s new labs, ‘Home Economics’ facilities and art studios were added, closely followed by  new computing, geography and history classrooms.  The new main school building was added in 1995 creating a new senior school hall, dining hall and music facilities, while the purpose-built Junior School was opened in 1993.  In 2008 1 Nightingale Road was purchased and in 2010 3 Nightingale Road was also acquired and renamed Harper House; the buildings provide administrative offices, staff accommodation, teaching rooms for Sixth Formers and large garden for girls to use. 

In April 2014 work started on the extension of the library.  This also incorporated the creation of the Current Affairs and Philosophy Room and new IT suite replacing the old IT rooms.  This was followed in October of the same year by construction of the 2016 Hall, which was completed in May 2016, and added a dedicated music performance space capable of seating 200, practice rooms and a social area. It also greatly enhanced the outside area with the creation of a new courtyard in place of the playground, and a patio to the rear outside the extended library.